8.13.2024

I'm Getting Old

all the things left unfinished

and all those not yet begun

hover around me unceasingly

bothering me for fun

like an evil champion

like a villain on the run


a list of books I'd have to read

to know anything at all

the actions I know I'd have to take

to know that I stood tall

when it feels for all the world

that the world's about to fall


one step at a time they say

one deep breath to clear your mind

as civilization self-destructs

I might as well unwind

disposing of my time

like a sing-song, easy rhyme


that's the way to acquiesce

with what I have helped create

contributing however small

as we all participate

accepting horror deeds as fate

renunciation coming late


or take control

of what I behold

grasping with the will's hold

past the arc of what I'm told

wary of what I do for gold

because a life bought is a life sold

I must choose to play a more worthy role

because I'm getting old, I'm getting old

No comments:

Post a Comment